Maimonides School

Our History

Greater Boston is rightly famous for firsts – first American university, first police department, first municipal library, and first subway – not to mention being the cradle of American liberty.

Maimonides School, established in 1937 by Rabbi Dr. Joseph B. Soloveitchik זצ״ל (the Rav) and ambitious supporters, is part of that pioneering heritage. The Rav’s revolutionary actions included:
  • Opening a Jewish Day School at a time of rampant assimilation.
  • Insisting that modernity could be synergistically coupled with Orthodoxy, when the overwhelming dynamic was of one rejecting the other.
  • Asserting that girls should receive the same education as boys, while most schools, public and private, limited opportunities for girls.
“Maimo” was the Rav’s home, where he turned theory into practice and transformed practice into the scholarship for which he is so widely respected and admired. From its infancy, Maimonides School has been committed to “developing young people within whom Judaic and general education, devotion to Judaism, and the desire to contribute to society are organically linked.”

Main Image

  • historypage_Soloveitchik351086
  • historypage_coedstudents38604
  • historypage_1stdaySavalcampus07280
 
Maimonides began with an enrollment of six and a faculty of one in an upstairs room of a Roxbury synagogue. Eighty years later, as Maimonides School flourishes into its fourth generation, we continue to celebrate this audacious experiment, still ongoing and vital, and the bounty it produces: Our children – the Rav’s students – and the Torah u’madah they bring to society.

A few historical Maimonides School milestones:

1937
Maimonides School enrolls its first class.
1941
Maimonides, now with six grades, purchases its first building.
1962
The school opens its permanent campus in Brookline, initially for Grades 7-12. Two years later the Elementary School wing for Grades K-6 is completed and occupied.
1986
Additions to Saval Campus include the library, additional classrooms, and the athletic center.
1997
35,000-square-foot Brener Lower Elementary Building opens on Clark Road.
2002
Major renovation of the synagogue doubles its seating capacity.
2008
Middle School formally incorporates Grade 6 and moves into an expanded space on the lower level of Saval Campus, while Grade 5 moves into the Brener Building to create a single cohesive Elementary School.
2016
Opening of the Early Childhood Center for 2-, 3-, and 4-year-old students.
search login